Saturday, January 1, 2011

New Project for 2011.......who's going to join me?

Hello and Happy New Year!  Normally I would be asking for volunteer's to help with a Block Party Project for cancer this year....but, Quilts for a Cause, Inc. asked me to design a quilt which would be made into a pattern to sell this year.   It should be coming out very soon and I can't wait to share where and how you can order it.  You've seen the quilt Carol Crago and I worked on.......so stay tuned for the how and where you can order the pattern and help out a cause that is so near and dear to all of our hearts.

Now, it's the beginning of a new year and I just know we can all help with another project.  The American Patchwork and Quilting Magazine is still working on their 1 million pillowcase challenge.  Although I'm not a quilt shop....I'd like to be a part of making their goal come true....so, who's with me?  The pillow cases we make can be donated to local charities (you don't have to send them to me)  and I'm thinking that for me I'm going to donate what I make to a local woman's shelter and/or nursing homes in my area.  

The bottom line is that when you've made the pillow cases and they are delivered, I'll need a total of what you make so I can turn in the number to the American Patchwork site. (I know each person can go to their site and add their own, but I'd like to do this as a group)  I've also added a button to the left of your screen so you can read more about this; you can download which pillow case pattern you'd like too. 

The cut off date to sign up will be January 15th........please let me know if you'll be joining me for our first project of 2011.

13 comments:

WoolenSails said...

I have been wanting to to try and make pillow cases, need to see if I can do it;) I can try some practice ones for myself and then once I get the hang of it, I can make them for others.

Debbie

Gayle said...

There are three young girls in my neighborhood who are wanting to learn how to sew & make quilts. I've offered to help/teach them, and the first project they're working on are the pillowcases for this challenge. I provided the fabric from my stash and the online video that AP&Q has on their website makes it really simple to follow the instructions. Such a great project!

Sharon said...

Sounds like a great idea to me! As I cleaned out closets yesterday, I found fabric that will work into pillowcases very nicely! I will donate through our church ministry to the Hope House or something like that. Love your idea!

Carol said...

I'm in...I love to make pillowcases and if you have somewhere in our area to donate them, that's just perfect. I'll get the button on my blog as soon as I get home. Happy New Year!

Kathy B. said...

Count me in! I have a stash of great fabric waiting to be created into something useful and for a worthy cause. I will get started next week. The pillowcases I make I would like to take to a nursing home near me. Do you need any of that information, or just my final count?

martha said...

i would like to join for a new project for the coming year.

martha

Betty said...

Hi Linda,
I have sewn all my life but have never made a pillow case. Do you have a pattern? Just measurements and how to put it together to made it look ready made is all I need.
Thanks,
Betty in MO

Betty said...

Hi Linda,
Never mind on the request for a pattern. I just found it on your website.
Thanks,
Betty in MO

Jean said...

I will join in the pillowcase project. I may send them to the nursing home in MN where my parents lived for a short time and also I plan to make quilts for the police cars in my county and I could put each one in a pillowcase for children that are involved in accidents or fire etc.

Unknown said...

The deadline to sign up is January 15th, but just wanted to say Thank you to those that have already posted. After the January 15th deadline I will be back to let you know the completion date for letting me know how many you've made. If you are already working on this please DO NOT send me your numbers. It will be for only those of you that are working through me. I'll send in a total number to AP&Q at the end. Their total count needs to be accurate. I'm excited to have you help me with this. And, PLEASE send a picture of what you make so I can post them. Thanks again so much!
Happy New Year.

Anonymous said...

I would love to join you.
I'll watch your blog for more details.
LuAnn

Anonymous said...

Count me in. This was the nudge I needed.

Unknown said...

Good Afternoon ladies....I started to write to everyone individually, then realized some posts were where I couldn't return the email..
I am late, AGAIN, in posting the total for this challenge. Please let me know as soon as you can if you made any pillow cases. I want to be able to post the total by Friday and let AP&Q know how many to add. Thanks so much for your help. Hugs, Lynda